If you’re about to head off to Officer Training School (OTS) down at East Sale then you’ve most likely got a lot on your mind. If you have concerns about your fitness then we’re here to let you know what you can expect during your course. This will give you a chance to direct your training appropriately and take away some of the stress around ‘how fit do I need to be’?
If you’re about to head off to Officer Training School down at East Sale then you’ve most likely got a lot on your mind. If you have concerns about your fitness then we’re here to let you know what you can expect during your course. This will give you a chance to direct your training appropriately and take away some of the stress around ‘how fit do I need to be’?
So… what type of PT can you expect to do when you’re on OTS?
The gym at East Sale is reported to be awesome. It’s relatively new and there is a lot of equipment and plenty of space. There is a big indoor gym, an oval with a running track, a pool, squash courts, a weights room, treadmill room and other areas in the gym that are dedicated to different types of fitness.
So there should be no excuse to train, right?
PT at OTS
Whilst at OTS you’ll find that your course schedule is jam packed with lessons, study, assignments, uniform maintenance, general cleaning and administration. You’ll still have PT scheduled in there somewhere and here is an insight into what you can expect:
These sessions are always run by a PTI.
Usually these sessions are a full body workout or will be split into an ‘upper’ and ‘lower body day. However at the start of the course you will conduct weighted lifts. This will allow the staff to test your maximum lifts for things like squatting. You’ll also be tested on running, should pressing, sit ups, lying heaves and several other exercises.
Other times you’ll find yourselves conducting cardio sessions with equipment such a spin bikes. There are also sessions in the pool.
Due to the diverse range of fitness abilities across the course group, the PTIs need to cater for everyone. It’s important to ensure you are as fit as possible prior to going into the course. If you are quite fit then you may find that you will lose a small amount of fitness, however it won't be detrimental. In fact it's seen as a positive because you've taken the time to adequately prepare yourself and you will always be able to keep up. If you go in at a low level of fitness then you’re going to find these group sessions extremely challenging and a struggle to keep up. I know which one I'd prefer!
The PTIs are there to push you and to get the best out of you. However if they do see that you’re struggling they will endeavour to help you out. This may mean that you conduct an exercise over and over until it clicks. This can include things like an adjustment to your running technique, how to do a stretch properly or teaching you how to push yourself.
As previously mentioned, the OTS schedule is extremely packed and keeps you very busy. At the halfway mark you’ll find that you regain some freedom on weekends. The good news here is that you’ll have access to the gym facilities during this time.
You’ll still need to prioritise your gym time amongst everything else you still need to do, however it’s important to remember that a 1 hour workout is 4.2% of your day. So you’ll still have the other 95.8% of your day to get everything done.
At OTS you’ll find that maintaining a social life becomes integral to your wellbeing and mindset. The ability to connect with your course mates will allow you to build a rapport that is required during group activities as well as the development of those lifelong friendships you always hear about.
Most people find that they enjoy getting to the mess for dinner and a few drinks. There is also a pool table you can use whilst you all hang out. On these weekends in the latter half of the course you’ll have the opportunity to sleep in and hang out in your room a bit more. Use this time to relax and catch up on some extra sleep. On the weekends there will always be someone that organises a game of soccer or a run in your spare time. If you’re nice and organised then you’ll find that you can get everything done for your course as well as get to the gym.
Overall, the PT you’ll conduct on OTS is intensive however the onus is definitely on you to conduct extra sessions in your own time once you get some spare time. As always, ensure you are as fit and strong as you can possibly be prior to heading off so that you don’t struggle!
If you’ve recently been to OTS and feel that you have some additional info to add to this, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know!
Michael and Carly both have walked the path you are about to take and are commited to help you get started with your training for a successful enlistment with free tips and articles.